Monday, March 16, 2009

Disappearing Dimple


Dean has this little dimple in his upper left cheek. It doesn't show up when he smiles, but when he cries or pouts. It's adorable. He is the cutest crier. The saddest thing (other than the fact that I take pictures of my crying baby because i think he's cute) is that his dimple seems to be disappearing. Does that happen? Is there anything physical that we hold onto through our whole lives? We obviously don't keep our baby hair, we lose the chubby cheeks (eventually), our arms finally grow long enough to reach the top of our heads, our skin gets rougher and rougher every day...what do we hold on to?

I found this letter that I wrote to Dean when he was a month old:

Every day I mourn the day before it…the hour before it…the minute before it. Every smile is new. Every expression has new life in it. Dean, the rate at which you develop and change is astounding. I’m afraid that if I don’t spend every second with you, that I’ll miss out on something. I want to be the first thing you see wake up, and the last thing you see when you go to sleep.

I miss the way you would snuggle up on my chest, your legs curled up so you were just a little ball. The way you wouldn’t sleep at night unless you were there. That was quickly replaced with a crib in another room and a full nights sleep. Which is better?

I love the way your belly gets so swollen when you eat, and how you smile when you are falling asleep. I love how your whole face opens up when you smile, and you squirm with joy. I love the expression on your face when you have just discovered something new and the look of determination when you are trying to repeat a movement. I love how you stick your tongue out at us when we do it to you, and how you laugh when we make kissy sounds at you. I love that you know who I am and the sound of my voice. I love being your mom.

I wish I could slow down time and keep you in this stage a while longer. I want to absorb every little bit of you right now. I want to write it all down so that you can know how happy you make me and how much I love you. I never dreamed that I would be able to love someone as much as I love you. God blessed us with an amazing child, for which we are very thankful.


2 weeks old

I don't want to lose the dimple.

No comments:

Post a Comment