Sunday, June 7, 2009

Mama vs. Dada


Dean's babbling is beginning to take some shape. He is imitating speech rhythms and tunes to songs. When I sing "where is thumpkin" he immediately starts bobbing to the tune and humming along with me. Of course, I make that all sound like he is singing at 8 months old, when really it's more of one of those little things that only parents notice (mainly because it sounds like babble to everyone else). One thing in particular that we've noticed is his use of "mamamama" and "dadadada". At first it was very random, but it has morphed into this sound with a purpose. He says "dadadada" when he is playing around, and says "mamamamama" when he is upset and wants to be comforted...not like he is calling us as much as that is the name that fits his want or need. Fitting, right? Daddy is a play mate, a pal, a good time. Mommy is the one who wipes my butt, feeds me, and puts me to bed. Our roles are already becoming apparent to him. Facinating that such a tiny little guy is already picking up on these things. It has made me very aware of the fact that we are entering into a stage where everything we do and say is being absorbed and processed in his tiny little head. Makes you nervous what that first word will be :)

No comments:

Post a Comment