Sunday, August 16, 2009

Mommies of One


I've noticed that while our church seems to have a lot of stay-at-home Mommies (we even have a weekly playgroup), there aren't that many Mommies of one child. I regretfully, haven't taken advantage of the playgroup meetings this summer. It's hard because Dean takes his morning nap during the time that they meet, and also because he is so young that it's hard to find things for him to do at the various places they meet. I know I have this weird fear of trying new things by myself and maybe I'm just making excuses to not go to this playgroup. I know that I am going stir crazy being in this house every day, doing the same thing every day. I can tell that Dean is getting that way too. He gets bored very easily and it's hard to keep him entertained at home all day. I can't help but think that when you have multiple children it's easier for them to stay entertained because they have one another. So as a Mommy of One, what do I do to keep my 10 1/2 month old entertained? I'm not sure that he's ready for a playground, but I'm going to try that this week. It's intimidating to think of taking him to a playground full of other moms and kids that know what they are doing.

If anyone that reads this has suggestions for activities I can do with Dean, please let me know! Until then, I'll keep posting about the new things I'm determined to try with him.

1 comment:

  1. Reading of books is always a good way to pass the time with a little one. It helps to go to the library frequently to get different books, both to retain the little one's attention and to save your own sanity.
    Our kids loved to play with pots and pans and similar kitchen equipment when they were about Dean's age. If you can set aside a lower cabinet door that has plastic or unbreakable bowls, measuring cups, whisks, basters, brushes, and whatnots, he might entertain himself for a good while.
    Not now, but someday, you'll reach the point when you tell him, "Look, kid, I'm not here to entertain you, go play." My mother used to proudly tell people that I played by myself for hours and hours. It was the making of an introvert.

    ReplyDelete