Sunday, September 6, 2009

Sick Baby


Dean got his first cold this week. I'm not sure if there is anything more pathetic than a sick baby. He had the whole package - constant running nose, sneezing (the kind that shoots boogers across the room), little bit of a cough, fever, diarrhea - so sad. The cold seems to be getting better already, but for 24 hours there I felt like I was the mother of a newborn again. All those feelings of uncertainty, second guessing everything you do...the nonstop holding (I didn't put him down except to change him for a good 15 hours)...the 45-minute bursts of sleep during the night (except when you aren't getting up to nurse your husband can do it too :) )...

One thing that I guess shouldn't surprise me, but did, was that the only thing NOT altered by his illness was his appetite. I'm telling you, if that child was place in his highchair so sick he could barely hold his head up, he'd still eat everything on his plate.


Last night seemed to be a turning point. He slept almost all the way through the night. Awoke to a completely crusted, yet smiling face when I went in to get him. We are just finishing breakfast and although his eyes are still red-rimmed, he's babbling away and throwing food as usual. Say a prayer for full recovery!

No comments:

Post a Comment