Sunday, February 1, 2009

Waterfalls and Lipstick Rings


Dean is a drooler. There's no going around it. He loves to stick his hands and anything else he can grab, into his mouth. He especially loves the reaction he gets when makes a raspberry sound with those things in his mouth. Who could blame him though. The reflection of lights and colors off the spray of saliva as it flies through the air is breathtaking. And the way your whole face feels cool and damp as the air hits the puddles forming on your cheeks, magnificent. At least, that's what he seems to think. Well, I got tired of mopping him up every 10 seconds so I just stuck a bib on him and let him go. Bad Mommy. He developed such horrible chapped cheeks that he looks like he has a lipstick ring around his mouth. I now not only have to mop him every 10 seconds, but I have to apply all kinds of lotions and salves to the red areas. I'm not entirely sure that the Baby Kisses salve that I got for him really works though. It's basically just petroleum jelly and he rubs it off within 5 minutes anyway. Lotions are good, but only when he won't be rubbing his face around (so basically never). I even used Bert's Beeswax chapstick, which seems to help it heal, but I think it burns some on the really raw areas. Plus he gets it in his mouth and seems to hate the taste. I thought of putting zinc oxide on him after he's fallen asleep at night. Wouldn't that be cute.

Every baby drools. Some, obviously, more than others. And they drool even more when teething. So what will my little guy look like when the teeth are coming in? He's going to need a huge bib that has shoulder wings and a completely waterproof lining.

No comments:

Post a Comment